Sunday, January 18, 2009

ICA Between the Acts

Last week my husband and I went to the free Thursday Night at the ICA. I love the building and the space, the only bad thing was that we picked a night between main exhibits. They were taking down the Tara Donovan and didn't have the Shepard Fairey up yet.

So we ate ate the cafe and then explored the permanent collection. I have been before and as always, my favorite was Cornelia Parker's Hanging Fire. This is a photo of it by Charles Mayer from the ICA's website. It is really stunning up close, it is fire frozen and suspended.

I have a very love hate relationship with some contemporary art sometimes. I guess my internal response is that if the description is more interesting to me than the piece itself, then I don't find that piece as successful as others where the reverse is true.

I want to go back soon and see the Fairey exhibit. Next time I also want to get a fancy dessert from the cafe. Food and art, you can't go wrong.

No comments: