Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Day Tripping - Salem

While the rest of the country celebrated St. Patrick's Day today, here in Boston we observed Evacuation Day which meant no work for me! my husband, his mom and I went up to Salem, Mass to poke around and enjoy the bright (yet brisk) day.

I took this photo in Derby Square Bookstore. Stacks and stacks of books filled every inch of space, with just a trail through the piles. We walked away with 4 half priced books and a 5th free book. There is just a little crack between the books to make your purchase. A must-visit for any bibliophile visiting Salem.

In addition to shopping, we did a little historic site seeing. We went to the burying point and saw some very old graves. The skull and wings was a very popular motif. That and vases with willow branches.

We has some lunch (I got a great sweet potato and caramelized onion soup) and popped into the gift shop at the Peabody Essex Museum, but were too out of steam for a full visit. Next time. You can see some more salem photos in my photostream.

Back to work tomorrow. I love evacuation day. Funny how it happens to fall on St. Patty's day in a city where 20% of the population claims Irish heritage (the most in any city in the country). What a coincidence! ;)

No comments: